Hi! My name is Ying, and I’ve been in the nail industry since 2010.
In 2013, I started The Nail Artelier with my partner Jenrine, and together we’ve been working towards our shared vision of taking our salon to the forefront of the nail art scene in Singapore.
My early nail education was from The Pink Room International Nail Academy, Singapore’s premier nail school.
I graduated with a Diploma in Nail Technology, obtaining Distinction grades in all the exams – the Professional Manicurist Certificate Exam, Acrylic Nail Extensions Certificate Exam and Gel Nail Extensions Certificate Exam, as well as the Diploma Exam.
I continued to hone my skills in nail technology and to expand my repertoire of nail art by attending a wide variety of courses, seminars and workshops.
– Chanel Kitty 3D workshop (embossed/3D acrylic art) conducted by Rachel Tang, principal of the Pink Room International Nail Academy.
– VivCat Design Private Class (design sculpture extensions) by award-winning international nail artists Viv Simmonds and Catherine Wong
– Sha Nail workshop (Sha Nail Pro nail seals) conducted by Sha Nail Japan Educator Kimi Akazawa – and then certified as a Sha Nail Official Nail Salon.
– Odyssey Nail Systems Acrylic System (acrylic extensions) and Gel System (gel extensions) by Ecsalonce Nail Academy.
– Level 1 and Level 2 Folk Art workshop by award-winning nail artist Celine Lam.
– ParaGel nail art seminar by Japanese award-winning nail artist Mami Jingu at Tokyo Nail Expo.
– Nail art workshop by Japanese celebrity nail artist Eriko Kurosaki.
– Competed in the Senior category of the Pink Room Cup and won the Grand Champion trophy after winning first place for Acrylic Extensions, Gel Manicure, and Gel Extensions. I also won the Best Award for Cover Photo, 2nd place for Stone Deco Tips, and 3rd place for Mixed Media Tips. In the team event, I also won 1st place with my great team from The Nail Artelier for the Team Mixed Media Total Look.
– JNEC 3 Preparatory Course conducted by the Pink Room International Nail Academy
– JNEC 3 Preparatory Class conducted by Eriko Kurosaki Nail Beauty College
– Passed JNEC Level 3 Nailist exam in Tokyo
– Attended TAT/NSJ Seminar on Acrylic Mixed Media 3D art
– Attended TAT/Ai Shape Seminar on Drill Techniques
– Attended Odyssey Nail Systems Electronic Filing Certification Class by Ecsalonce Nail Academy
– Attended Design Sculpture class in May by award-winning international nail artist Catherine Wong
– Attended RapiGel nail art seminar by Japanese celebrity nail artist Maya Tempaku at Asia Nail Festival in Osaka in July
– Attended Tokyo Nail Expo in Tokyo in November and attended nail art seminars by Japanese celebrity nail artists Maya Tempaku and Mami Jingu.
– Attended Asia Nail Festival in Osaka in July and learnt from demonstrations by Japanese celebrity nail artists such as Maya Tempaku, Ryo Kitamura, Mana Nails, and Yoko Matsuda.
– Attended NSJ Academy cuticle care course by NSJ Principal Nakasone in Taiwan.
– Attended JNEC 2 Preparatory Course conducted by Mayu’s Nail in Taiwan.
– Passed JNEC Level 2 Nailist exam in Tokyo
– Attended JNEC 1 Preparatory Course conducted by Mayu’s Nail in Taiwan.
– Attended NSJ Academy Salon Management and Hygiene course by NSJ Principal Nakasone in Taiwan.
– Passed JNA Salon Management and Hygiene exam in Taiwan.
– Passed NSJ Cuticle Care Meister exam conducted by NSJ Academy in Taiwan.
– Attended JNA 3 Preparatory Course in October conducted by Mayu’s Nail in Singapore.
– Attended Tokyo Nail Expo in November and learnt from demonstrations by Japan celebrity nail artists suh as Rie Nofuji and Yoko Matsuda.
Features in the media
In 2013, I also had the privilege of working on shoots with magazines such as Her World (May 2013 issue) and Female (July 2013 issue). Under The Nail Artelier, I had my work published in Simply Her (July 2013), The New Paper on Sunday (7 July 2013), and Her World (December 2013 issue). I collaborated with Lancôme for their online In Love Lookbook (June 2013), providing a DIY nail art tutorial using Lancôme nail polishes. I also created DIY nail art tutorials for Qweekly (various issues in 2013) and Nicole by OPI (June 2013). In May 2013, I was delighted to work with J Diary, who featured me in their video episode on nail art. I also appeared on 《女人俱乐部》Ladies Night on Channel 8 as a consultant for the episode on nailcare (September 2013).
In 2014, I was interviewed by Japanese nail magazine Nail Up! and featured in their March issue. My salon The Nail Artelier was also picked by Expat Living Magazine as “Best for Nail Art” in their January issue. In the September issue of Her World Magazine, my work was featured in a nail art tutorial. I was also interviewed and featured in M Lifestyle magazine in December. In October, I had the privilege of doing Gwyneth Paltrow’s nails for a British Airways commercial shoot.
In 2015, my Star Wars-themed nail art was featured on American TV channel, Time Warner Cable News NY1 – in an article on Vanity Projects. My work was also featured in the May issue of Simply Her magazine. I also worked on fashion-inspired nail looks for the June issues of Cleo magazine and Time Out Singapore, and the August and September issues of Her World magazine.
In December 2015, I was featured in an episode of Project W on Mediacorp Channel U, in a special segment on Christmas nail art trends.
In March 2016, I was featured in Her World magazine, as one of two nail artists in a special segment on “Beauty Gamechangers”.
In August 2016, I was featured on Her World Plus, as part of a series on “Singapore Start-Up Stories”.
In May 2014, The Nail Artelier opened its second outlet in Kembangan, and in September 2014, our Haji lane outlet was relocated to bigger and better premises just a few steps away on North Bridge Road.
In November 2014, I had the honour of being an artist-in-residence at the illustriousVanity Projects in New York for a week.
I also was privileged to be working for Angel Pro Nail as a booth demonstrator at the Tokyo Nail Expo in November 2014, churning out demos of Christmas-themed nail art, pet portraits and cartoons.
In October 2015, I had the honour of serving some of the largest names in women’s tennis at the WTA Finals in Singapore, such as Lucie Safarova, Bethanie Mattek-Sands, Timea Babos, Andrea Hlavackova and Marion Bartoli.
In November 2015, I was invited by Etude House Singapore to teach Christmas-themed DIY nail art over three sessions.
In August 2016, I was invited by Arbutus Watches to design two watch faces, with full proceeds going to charity.
I love my work, and I love pushing myself even more towards greater achievements. I relish challenges – to me, staying complacent and stagnant is not an option. To be the best, you just have to make sure you’re always ahead of the rest.
If you have any awesome projects that you think I might be interested in, or if you’d like me to review your products/services, let’s talk about it! You can email me at firstname.lastname@example.org !